Tuesday, April 21, 2015

MISSION STATEMENT

      It is probably time to give the reader of this blog, if there ever are any readers of this blog, some clarification as to what A Total Solid Waste is about.  It is, in the beginning at least, going to be a catalog of all my published work.  I have been writing and publishing under another name for years.  During all this time I have never managed to earn a living through my writing.  I believe I finally broke the one hundred dollar mark in earnings in about nineteen ninety-two with a ten dollar check for a poem.  This huge amount of earned income includes the question I sent to the Question Man column in the San Francisco Chronicle in the late sixties.  The question was Would you be dishonest for ten thousand dollars?.  I made fifty dollars for that one line.  I have not had anything in print since about two thousand and one.  I must just like the writing.
     I will be writing under the new nom de guerre of John Smith, IIMXIII.  With this new pen name I hope to be publishing in the world of the online via a website called Triond.  The old work will be here for anybody to access if they are interested.
     The title of this blog comes from how I have spent the last eighteen years earning a living.  I have been helping to manage the solid waste flow of a small university in the Pacific Northwest.  It really has not been a waste of time; I keep telling myself that.  I have learned about the American education system from the bottom up.  I hope to be finished with The Secret World of Garbage soon.
     With a degree in English from another small university and fourteen years of information services in academic libraries, it is amazing what I have learned from the solid waste flow.  Garbage is just another index of how our society works, an hands on example of how the trickle down theory really functions.

       


 



No comments:

Post a Comment